Monday, June 2, 2008

Update:Soccer, Family Reunion etc

So since the last time I have blogged, I have started my outdoor soccer season and I'm loving it!! I use to play competitive soccer for York United (Newmarket and surrounding area) as well as one year at a provincial level for team Ontario. Soccer was my life. I started when I was 3 and played on my older brother's team until the age of 9. At that time I started playing rep for Newmarket. I played year round both indoor and outdoor until I found out I was pregnant at 16. I honestly thought that I would never play again. However I returned last summer playing houseleague for my old coach of York United along with 8 of my old teammates. This is just a fun league, no practice and 1 game a week. I don't think I would be able to handle the competitive stuff again but I am happy to be back on the field:) Soccer was always something that I did with my Dad. He was at all my games rain or shine and loved the road trips we shared at tournaments far away. I lost my Dad a year and a half ago and I know he'd be so happy to see I was back doing what I love. As weird as it sounds, playing again helps me heal and remember those times we shared. That was the only reason I decided to give it one more go...but I am soo glad I did.

Aside from soccer, yesterday Nick, Mikayla, my mom and I attended the 44th annual Oliver Family Reunion (my dad's side of the family). I hadn't been in years so it was great to see everyone and spend the time together. I wish the weather had been nicer but overall it was a great day. At our reunions we have a bunch of little events like races, raffles, balloon tosses etc. Mikayla competed in a bunch of them and came home with a few ribbons to show for it. Mikayla came 1st in the 3-6 yr old race and 2nd in the balloon toss with her cousin as her partner. I think her heads gotten a little big since yesterday lol. She thinks shes the fastest kid in the whole world, and everywhere we go...we have to race there. I raced in the ladies race and came second. Turns out that the girl who beat me, was the same girl I could never beat when we were kids hahha. Nick missed his race, he was in the washroom (so he says), I keep telling him he was just too scared so he was off hiding somewhere lol. We all had a blast though:) I spent most of my time catching up and playing around with the kids and Nick spent most of the day speaking to my Grandad about the war. My Grandad flew a fighter plane in WWII and shared all his stories with Nick. It made my Grandad's day I'm sure.

3 comments:

PRINCE CHARMING said...

Actually i did run in a race i was wearing a wig and im the one who beat u hahahhahahah

Nikki,Mikki and Me said...

HAHAHAHHA
Now that I think about it, her legs were pretty hairy, and she had quite the nose on her.

Cherylinn said...

Nick was telling me what a great time you guys had. I heard all about your Grandad and the war. As well as Mikki and the races. But he didn't tell me he beat you at a race. Guess he forgot to mention his undercover feminine side.