Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Messed Up Family Secrets!!!

So last night I had the "pleasure" of finding out a deep dark family secret. I still have a hard time wrapping my head around it. Nick has heard my many thoughts and comments on the issue...and suggested I blog about it. So here it goes. Pay attention closely because I am going to try and make this as unconfusing as possible...if it is possible. lol
So while talking to my Mom last night and about wedding plans...we got on the topic of me walking down the aisle. Now most of you know that my Dad passed almost 2 years ago and as much as I wish he was here to do so, its just not the case. I was debating with the idea of walking down alone, or having my Grandad (my Dad's dad) walk me down the aisle. Well it was at this time that my mom said..."there's something I have to tell you before you go on any further" I told her to continue...and it was then that she let me know that the man I have always known as Grandad...is not technically my Grandfather. So let me try and break this down for you. My Grandad(well who I know as Grandad), his name is Larry Oliver. He met my Grandmother Muriel (my Dad's mom) during World War II and they were married shortly after. They had a mutual friend from the war name Walt Donkin who was going through a rough patch in his life, so they offered to have him stay at their house. Now my Dad has 2 brothers(both older) and 2 sisters (1 older, and 1 younger) who all grew up knowing this man as Uncle Walt because he was such a close family friend. Once my grandparents divorced...my Grandmother remarried "Uncle Walt" and Uncle Walt now because my dad and his sibling's step father. And to us grandkids he was known as Grandpa Waltie, but he never took the place of our Grandad. Now Grandpa Waltie passed away when I was 2...and my loving Grandad is still kicking at 89. Ok so theres some background info for ya. But back to the story. Well the beans were spilled to my Dad about who his father was well he was also discussing wedding information with his family. While discussing invitations and how it would read "son of Larry Oliver" good old Auntie Jean piped up and said..."well you can't have that on the invitations...Larry isn't your father, Walt is". After my Dad had punched a few holes in the wall the news settled with him and he got the full scoop. Larry Oliver who I know as Grandad and my dad grew up knowing (and thinking) was his dad is the father of my uncle Iain and aunt Carolyn. And "uncle Walt" or who we knew as Grandpa Waltie is the father of my Uncle Brian, Auntie Sandy and my Dad. Which leaves Grandpa Waltie as my biological Grandfather....talk about messed up! This post sounds like one big Maury episode. My Dad never acknowledge Walt as his dad...and Larry remained his father figure and who he referred to as Dad. My Dad never wanted to share any of this with us kids...so we were the last to find out in the family. Some of the questions that I have drew up in my head are:
1) My family isnt really as big as I think it is
2) My last name really shouldn't be Oliver---and were fooling everyone at the big reunions lol
3) I lied on all my family history reports--and my family medical history
4) Thank god my las name isnt Donkin! LOL
I like to think I have a good attitude with all this drama I just found out. Because either way...Grandad IS my Grandad, My Uncle is STILL my uncle, My Aunt is STILL my Aunt and my cousins will ALWAYS be my cousins...and I love them all dearly!Regardless!!

5 comments:

Fiddling Granny said...

Unbelievable and convoluted! Every family has weird skeletons in the old closets. This is a doozie.

1) My family isnt really as big as I think it is
Sounds like it's bigger!

2) My last name really shouldn't be Oliver---and were fooling everyone at the big reunions lol

So Nick crashing weddings fits right into your lifestyle!

3) I lied on all my family history reports--and my family medical history
Okay, the medical history one would bug me
4) Thank god my las name isnt Donkin! LOL

I'm with you there Girlfriend!!

Cherylinn said...

You have the right attitude about all this....Wow, talk about one big secret.

PRINCE CHARMING said...

I think u belong in Keswick not Melissa and Andrew lol

Gryper said...

If it is of any help to you, I have a CD with the song titled "I'm my own Grandpa" on it and the description sounds very much like what you have just attempted to describe.

My step brother story is easier to figure out.

PRINCE CHARMING said...

hahahah Granny I know that inbreading song. Tom that I work with showed me that