Thursday, September 4, 2008

Where did the time go?

Yesterday was Mikayla's first day of junior kindergarten and it is still so hard to believe!
Mikayla was soo excited, but I was dreading the day. She only had to attend in the afternoon so she could get to know the routines, classmates and her teacher before her first full day which is Sept 8th. So in the morning Mikayla packed up her backpack which consisted of Ickie (her favourite stuffed toy), and her lunch bag (which was empty, but she managed to fill the space with 3 old cell phones). She also picked out her clothes and spent most of the morning looking in the mirror. Once everything was set and ready to go, Mikayla and I went out for lunch. After lunch we started to walk towards her school. I would find myself looking down at her with her little backpack skipping along, and my eyes would fill with tears. It seemed like just yesterday we were bringing her home from the hospital. On the way to school my mom had phoned to wish Mikayla luck on her first day. Mikayla's response was " I can't talk Nanny, I'm going to kindergarten and I'm going to be late" and she hung up the phone. Once the school was insight, Mikayla automatically let go of my hand. This crushed me! She wouldn't let me take any pictures of her before she went into class but I managed to snap a few after class. When we got into the kindergarten drop off and pick up area, she left my side and made sure there was atleast 10 feet inbetween us. Her teacher then came out to greet everyone and round up the class....she grabbed her teacher's hand and not once did she look back. Once she was out of sight, I began to shed some tears....I can't believe how time just blows by! And Mikayla not needing me by her side didn't help the situation.



5 comments:

Fiddling Granny said...

I teared up just reading about this Lisa!

Cameron decided after about 3 days in kindergarten that he didn't even want me to walk him to school. I had to sneak along behind him keeping out of site so he wouldn't know.

Megan, Kellon and Mekhi said...

Oh my, she is so grown up!!! What a fabulous little girl and how scary the thought of school really is, time does fly!

Cherylinn said...

I'm sitting her balling.....

Pam, TJ, Nathan and Jordan said...

I can relate Lisa...Tuesday was Nathan's first day in the toddler class. This may not sound like a big deal but all I could think of was just how fast he's growing up!

I'm not ready for that! :(

She's definately grown up..but just look at what a great job you did with her!

PRINCE CHARMING said...

oh what a little princess to bad I didn't get to come along. She is growing up fast but I like this age the best. I luv her more then anything what a cutie